Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Home is whenever I'm with you

Welcome to my study break!

This week has been quite eventful. Many thanks to FK for inviting me to the New England Conservatory performance.  It was really cool hearing world music played on contemporary western instruments.  How do I mean?  Imagine a Thai bell piece played with sax, trumpet, and a dismantled drum set.  Think playing a Ghanaian lute piece with a violin.  The musicians where young (teens to twenties) and very talented.  Great work!

They opened the performance with a sound bite from Duke Ellington's performance of Afro-Eurasian Eclipse.  The use of the term "Oriental" for describing people is antiquated.  None the less it is an interesting sound bite. If you listen to the entire song you kind of get a taste of what the kids at NEC did that night.  It was that but with a very contemporary edge.




I've been in study mode because I have an exam on Friday.  I'd really like to do well.  Partly because I know I can but mostly because I'd like some wiggle room or buffer if you will when I start doing all my May traveling.  On the itinerary: NYC, Philly, Toronto, and DC.  Yup every weekend I will be off to some other city.   Updates to follow.

Lastly, I am looking forward to one thing popping up in my in-box. Grant me patience.



This song came out late 2009. It really got me thinking about home and how to make it where I am. Thought question: Who makes home for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment