Sunday, April 18, 2010

Revisit Weekend: FABRIC and the aftermath!

 I am so glad FABRIC was a success.  I don't know if I told many non-Boston residents about it or my participation in the event.  FABRIC is a production celebrating the global influence of the African diaspora.  First year medical students have been putting on this production during admit revisit week for the last 10 years.  It is a showcase of the many talents our class posseses and a great lure for new admits.

Jump for more!

Friday night: There where all kinds of acts, music, dance, improv, comedy.  You name it, we did it and did it WELL!
I and six other students did the opening number.  It was a world drumming set. We mixed and merged different rhythms from across the globe.  It was great.  I think it set the tone for the rest of the show.  Boy were the rhythms fun!

The performance was a little more than 2.5 hours long.  At times you could see things that where geared more to the first years than to the admits or guests but it kept it fun.  We kept the inside jokes to a minimum (inside jokes will be abound during the Second-Year Show).

The next day, Saturday, I met up with some admits interested in primary care at Ula Cafe in Jamaica Plain.  Thanks a lot to S for setting it up. I tried my best to give them a balanced perspective on what to expect at Harvard.  It is no UCSF, UW or OSHU.  Everyone will not get why you want to be a p.care doc at HMS but that is okay!  There is a lot of positive change happening here.  We will be at the epicenter of a national move for primary care innovation at top research institutions.  I asked the admits to think carefuly and answer honestly to themselves what kind of experience they would like to have during their medical training and see how closely it aligns with what is available at our institution.  I was not trying to sell HMS, though I would love to have all them here.  My duty as a health professional-in-training is to look out for individual and public well-being.  So I want them to make the decision that will lead them to a generally happy, healthly, and productive 4+ years.

It was cold and rainy the majority of the weekend so I cycled quickly (to stay warm) back to campus to make it to the housing panel put on my the  Office of Multicultural Recruitment and Affairs.  The panel was much larger than last year, it was weird sitting there with my colleagues on one side of the room.  It is funny that people were asking me advice about things I JUST figured out for myself!

Next the Students For Global Health ice-cream social (I had my first Tofutti non dairy ice-cream sandwhich), then a fancy smancy reception with champagne, wine and such then I was off to see a drag show in Cambridge.  Okay I skimmped on the 4+ hours I spent doing the above but it largely involved rehashing why HMS over UCSF though I did have some cool conversations with my classmates about global health delivery and the definintion of the "Third World" which I hope to continue.

That was the highlight of the night!  It was at the Queenshead pub at Harvard College.  It was my first time there and was really impressed by the joint.  Good beer and cheap ($3.25/pint)!  My friend, G did a wonderful job.  So much soul comes out when G is on stage or holding a mic.  I am very glad G counts me as a friend.  After the show...karaoke!!! It is great how the karaoke heads have gravitated to one another.  Two even reinacted the Michael Jackson Thriller dance while a group of us sang. Superb.

It's still raining on and off but beautiful outside. I love that spring is here, even if it does mean I get more showers than want in a day. Now on to writing this Sustainability grant and studying for my quiz on Tuesday.


This is the view from my the back balcony.  Overlooking the spring foliage and Leverett Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment