Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunny Saturday and Boston

Saturday morning I woke to a clear blue sky, warm sun and the sounds of of NOLA (New Orleans, LA) jazz going down the street outside our flat.  It sounded like a funeral procession.  As the music started to fade I heard what sounded like marchers in protest.  I was very confused.  I race out to my front balcony and see this:

After the jump, the rest of the day

Had a wonderful conversation with Mom.  After about three weeks for being a flaky son I gave her a phone call. We set up time on Saturday to chat.  Around 10am EST I get a text from her. She is now on skype! I got to see her for the first time in 4 months pretty cool.  Now to work on my sister...

Around noon I met up with my friend AW.  Our goal was to hang out and shop for bikes.  I am working on getting a core group of classmates into urban cycling.  I need more buddies who can be mobilized on short notice to go on adventures! 

We had lunch at Miami Restaurant, small Cuban restaurant, in Hyde Sq.  Standing outside debating on if we should go in we met the owner, Juan.  He assured us it would be the best Cuban food in the area (there were at least 2 other in the neighborhood).  I was hungry, he was charming, so we tried it.  Tasty.  I got my first Cuban sandwich. I forgot to take a picture of it.  AW got some chicken soup with a big ole piece of thigh in the bowl, yum.

We made our way to Cambridge and stumbled across pre-frosh weekend at Harvard College.  Talk about a blast from the past. We reminisced about being incoming freshman and chuckled when a kid from the college mistook us for new admits.  We took a "scenic" route to Quad Bikes (3 hours to get to a place that was 10 minutes from where we started, thanks college kids and Cambridge police). 


AW tried a bike but wasn't too impressed and we had plans to meet up with AJ for dinner.  We headed back to Jamaica Plain and went to Bikes Not Bombs where AW found a much more acceptable selection.  After an hour of test rides AW bought a bike!  It made us an hour late to meet our friend, who was none too pleased.  Drama was deflected and we got dinner at The Alchemist not too far from my flat. 

Pretty good day but didn't expect to be walking for 8+ hours.  I'm glad I did though because today is pretty gloomy

No comments:

Post a Comment